Trip Report: Brattleboro, VT

(Word count: 481)

What I did:

  • tried to sunset hike Mt. Pisgah -- fail
  • drove to Brattleboro, VT instead, and cop free coffee -- success
  • went antique hunting/thrifting in BrattleB
  • devoured fish and chips
  • nosed around a nerd shop!

During the weekend of Week 7 of Fall Semester, I made a day trip to Brattleboro, VT, which is only a 45 minute drive away from Amherst. Isn't that amazing? That you can cross a state border in less than an hour? That's the beauty of living in the Northeast Corridor. However, it is my personal opinion that the culture within said corridor is relatively homogenous. Regardless, it is still exciting to hear Google Maps tell you "Welcome to Vermont!" 

retrieved from maps.google.com 10.26.16

Waking up late -- around 1500 (thanks hangover) -- my initial plan of making it to Mt. Pisgah (which is actually in New Hampshire!!) for a sunset hike didn't quite work out. By the way, the idea of a sunset hike was made feasible by this great app called Alltrails which shows you nearby hiking trails, providing routes, photos, and reviews. Example screenshot shown below:

retrieved from alltrails.com 10.26.16


So instead, acting on advice that fellow farmers from my Friday Work-Study at the Book&Plow Farm (of which I have an ongoing post here) that I should visit Brattleboro, VT and do the following:
  • go thrifting/antique hunting
And boy were they right! Twice Upon A Time (a great pun for an antique store name) was fifth on TripAdvisor's list of Things To Do.
retrieved from TripAdvisor.com 10.26.16

But first, one quick story regarding some Vermontian(?) hospitality that I was shown at a gas station. On learning that it was my first time VT (I was asking a lot of newbie questions, and bought some souvenir VT stickers), the cashier didn't charge me for my coffee!








(collecting them snapchat stickers)

Don't snap and drive guys!







So... Twice Upon A Time:


do visit!!! TripAdvisor link

OH WOW, what I've always wanted!!!

3 floors of antique hunting <3
vintage baseball cards!

Fish & Chips

I also had fish & chips for dinner. It wasn't a question; when I saw fish & chips, I went right in.


here's the Yelp link

love chalk menus!  


homemade tartar sauce was bomb, but extra! (just like guac -_-)

 Nerd Shop

Just walking around BrattleB, I stumbled upon a nerd shop (proclaimed by the shop-owner himself), which I found quaint -- I did indeed look for a specific Pokemon card! The wolf T-shirt totally drew me in, if you haven't heard of this internet meme, you have to check this... the Amazon reviews for the following The Mountain Three Wolf T-shirt, but because I know you'll be too lazy to investigate said reviews yourself, I added one at the bottom.






Then a quick drive back to catch some zzzz....







No comments:

Post a Comment