Trip Report(s): NYC

(Word count: 380)

New York City, the city that never sleeps, etc. etc. In Week 7 of my first semester at Amherst, I'm loathe to admit that I've spent 4 out of the past 7 weekends (I had a Week 0 as an International Student) in NYC. It's amazing: there's simply always something going on.

Specific events:

  • EZOO, Electric Zoo
    • an electronic dance music (EDM) festival that takes place annually on Randall's Island Park, NY during Labor Day weekend -- which is usually the weekend before school starts (which starts on a Tuesday). In my case, it occurred over Orientation weekend, but because it's important to me -- EZOO 2013 was my first ever festival -- I went.
  • Meadows Music & Arts Festival
    • a music festival spanning various genres with the 1975 and Kanye West being my favorite acts.

Random trips...

  • to be developed...

Getting there

It's a 3-4 hour drive, traffic dependent ... not a very fun drive either



Driving is exciting for me, still. Perhaps because I've never had the burden of a long commute, driving is an extension of my freedom to me -- to be deprived of a car (as all first years are at Amherst) almost feels as if I've lost the freedom to move around. Luckily there is still Zipcar (which costs around $10/h, or $80/d) and Entreprise rent-a-car in Amherst town within walking distance!!!! :) Happy Daniel.

I have on occasion, also taken the Peter Pan bus line, which is extremely convenient in that you don't have to deal with the drive (which is boring at night), the traffic (if it's during the day there will be traffic), or the parking in NYC issue (around $20/h, if you DON'T get a ticket). So...

  • rent a car from Zipcar/Entreprise = $80/d (there is a $20 young renter fee for anybody <25, insurance costs $35 and is optional but highly recommended -- NYC drivers are crazy!)
  • take the Peter Pan Bus which picks you up a 5 minute walk from the campus... tickets need to be printed beforehand, can't stress that enough, but can also be printed at Amherst Books or the terminal at the NYC Port Authority Terminal (where the bus drops you/picks you up from) which is on 42nd and 8th.


EZOO


















Meadows




No comments:

Post a Comment